Follow up and reap the rewards
Recently we visited the Covi show in Auckland – a 3 day expo of all things Motorhome and Caravans. Almost every stall enticed us and everybody else to enter a draw, presumably so that we could be added to a mailing list of some sort.
But as usual, only a handful of those we gave our email addresses to followed up. This one really stood out for me:
“KIA ORA, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!
Congratulations on joining the Kiwi Whale Watchers Club at last weekend's Covi Super show.
The team at Whale Watch Kaikoura would like to thank you for joining. We are proud to partner with NZMCA and offer these exclusive membership benefits to you, we look forward to seeing you in the future.
• Between the special period, 1st May – 31st October each year, the club member will be entitled to a 50% discount off the adult fare for a Whale Watching tour, this discount only applies to travel made by the member.
• Direct bookings only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other specials or deals.
• There is no restriction on the number of tours travelled during the special period.
• 15% discount off any purchase over $15.00 at Flukes Café & Wine Bar
• 20% discount off any purchases over $20.00 at the Whale Watch Gift Shop (except stamps)
• Please remember to bring your NZ Passport or Drivers License when travelling with us as photo ID is required at check in.
• Please also present your NZMCA card at time of check-in.”
Now, what we received through this email was no different than what we signed up for. But there is something quite special about receiving a confirming email – and especially one which reinforces what we probably would have forgotten over time.
So, do we plan to take our caravan over the ditch again? –Yep!
Do we plan to stop off at Kaikoura? – we didn’t initially but probably yes!
Will we be going in the discount period? – not necessarily but if we are on the fringe of those dates, we will probably juggle! Even if not, the discounts at the shop and wine bar still apply.
I have said before and it’s worth repeating – you can make plenty of contacts every day but it’s the follow up that will clinch the deal.